The Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay (IITB) is one of the fifteen higher institutes of technology in the country set up with the objective of making facilities available for higher education, research, and training in various fields of science and technology. With the same mission and vision, Prof. Ganesh Ramakrishnan is gearing to take rural India a leap ahead. For his outstanding contributions, he has also been awarded the IBM Faculty Award 2011.
About the Internship:
Selected intern's day-to-day responsibilities include:
1. Work on REST APIs
2. Engage in server handling and website hosting
3. Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
4. Create a website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices
5. Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
6. Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
7. Create and maintain software documentation
8. Maintain, expand, and scale our website
9. Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and applying them to operations and activities
# of Internships available: 1
Who can apply:
Only those candidates can apply who:
are available for full time (in-office) internship
can start the internship between 12th Sep'18 and 17th Oct'18
are available for duration of 6 months
have relevant skills and interests
Project Description: Venter: Intelligent Complaint Resolution System
Many civic problems fail to reach resolution because of barriers to submitting a complaint or knowing the right person to contact. As a solution to such problems, Venter is an intelligent complaint management system being developed at IIT Bombay, in collaboration with Microsoft Research which aims to create a platform for categorizing and routing civic complaints to relevant officials. Advances in speech and image understanding have made it possible to create an AI intermediary that speeds up complaint categorization and resolution.
Venter is currently working with ICMC (I Change My City) which is an online complaint redressal system, where complaints posted on their website are routed to MCGM. Also, Venter has collaborated with SpeakUp, which is an application used to voice the complaints faced by users from corporate firms and supply chains.
The machine learning model of Venter has the following parts:
1. For ICMC
- Automate the complaint mapping process
Venter automates the categorization of complaints posted on ICMC when routed to MCGM, reducing the error in manual mapping
- Improve the location pinpointing in complaints
The project aims at determining the exact location on the maps, making use of the machine learning model trained to pinpoint the most accurate location in the given
2. For SpeakUp
- Building an automatic classifier for the complaints
Venter classification based on the complaint data of the various issues that are recorded which will be used to segregate the data of issues under several taxonomy heads
- Data analysis and cleanup of complaints
Users who upload images and/or voice recordings in these complaints may use abusive language or have a lot of redundancy. An automatic process of filtering out data from these complaints is being developed.
Certificate, Letter of recommendation, Job offer, Flexible work hours, Informal dress code, 5 days a week.